December 23, 2011

Fleece socks


I have a pile of fabric laying around the house. It's what was supposed to be made into a Halloween costume, but it just didn't happen. Twenty bucks just sitting there on my floor. So a couple nights ago, I tried to make socks out of it. Now, I am no seamstress or anything, so this is really my first venture into actually creating something I can wear. I think it turned out pretty well. :) 


I actually tried sewing the green with a sewing machine, but because the fleece stretches, it also stretched out the hole. So I had to redo my right sock. That was a pain. Then the only thing I could do was to hand stitch it on. That was also a pain. But I can wear it now! 



How I did it:

1. Top and bottom of the sock: Cut out 4 oval shapes of fabric. They should be the size of your foot plus an inch or two so that you have room to sew.
2. Green border: Cut two long (1.5 inch wide) strips.
3. Choose the fabric that will become tops of the socks and cut out 4 inch holes in them.
4. Sew on the border by folding the strip over the edge of the hole. It was tricky to keep it on, so I held it together with pins while I hand stitched it.
5. Take the top and bottom of the sock and stack them on top of each other with what will become the inside of the sock facing out.
6. Sew the two together and repeat for the other side.
7. Flip the sock inside out and done!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your lovely note!

Please follow me on Google Friend Connect | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest