August 30, 2012

Sponge vs. Dish Cloth



It never sat well with me the thought of how much trash we throw out and how it ends up polluting the world we live in. I try to live a green and sustainable lifestyle; it's been on and off I admit. But I'm giving it a go again because I think it's important do our part to salvage our home. Last week, I decided to replace my sponge with a dish towel. I'm starting off small, but sometimes that's all it takes, doesn't it?

Now let's talk sponges. Most likely they've made themselves at home near your sink, one of the germiest places in the kitchen. They're wet most of the time, becoming a breeding ground for germs and health hazards. So it's recommended that you replace sponges every week or two! That's a lot of money going out for new sponges, and a lot of trash might I add. 



And now this dish towel. 

But like sponges, they can accumulate germs just the same. The good thing about this is that it dries fast, it can be reused time after time and it saves money. Just throw it in the wash with the rest of your kitchen linen. No more smelly sponges or wasted dollars replacing them! 


The towel I'm using is actually a cut out of a flour sack. Its material is a lot like muslin: a loose cotton weave, but strong and sturdy nonetheless. These last longer than sponges. So much longer, making it a more economical and environmentally friendly option for washing those pesky dishes.

4 comments :

  1. you have forgotten to add that you can WASH towels in the washing machine and you can use them again and again til they fall apart, you can't wash sponges the same way hence the constant disposal.
    Great post, thanks for sharing!

    if you like we can follow each other on bloglovin :)
    let me know!
    STYLE DECORUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and beautiful pictures! I grew up with dishcloths that were hand knit from cotton yarn. They wore and washed so well and always got the job done. Also, they made an easy project for a beginning knitter! I should get some more of them around here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing, you inspire me. thinking of making the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use both a sponge and a dish cloth. I actually wash my sponges in hot water with the laundry (don't dry) and use them for cleaning around the house when their days with the dishes are done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely note!

Please follow me on Google Friend Connect | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest