October 26, 2012

City Tour: Haslam's Book Store


Books are such a wonderful escape to a new land full of mystery, suspense, fantasy and tear-jerking moments. When I was younger I used to spend hours at a bookstore, I still can actually, just walking from aisle to aisle and leafing through a few novels here and there. One of my favorite places to go in St. Petersburg is Haslam's Book Store.  

It's been in business for over 60 years and has become Florida's largest bookstore. It has a lovely collection of new and used books, beautiful leather bound classics, gifts, and glass cases full of first editions and signed copies. So much history. My favorite part about this bookstore is probably the kitties that roam around freely. :)


I love supporting local businesses and left with a copy of The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, one of my favorite authors. Snuggled up in bed with this book is where I'll be this weekend!

What are your weekend plans?

See more places in St. Petersburg here

{Photo credit: first photo / the rest were taken by me}

16 comments :

  1. Haha the relax cat must be an icon for the library :D
    I don't have any plans for the weekend! Maybe I should watch some old movies :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean bookstore ^^;

      Delete
    2. Oh she is! They sell cards with her photo on it and all :)

      Sounds like a relaxing weekend!

      Delete
    3. Oh my haha that's awesome!

      Delete
  2. The nearest, most credible bookstore is dozens of miles from my home :( wish I had a place like this in my neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it isn't local, but I love love love the whole atmosphere of B&N. I could spend hours in there!

    On another note, do let us know what you think of Faulkner. And I was an English major! I think he's so hard to read, but that may just be the way my brain works.

    http://makingroomwithus.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a beautiful bookstore. I have a favourite one near my house and it literally has floor to ceiling shelves. The walls are made from books. It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cat is living the good life! I've never read The Sound and the Fury - I'll have to pick it up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never gone there, but am now determined to (the next time we visit FL). The roaming kitties convinced me, ha :b

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since my family lives in Clearwater, I've definitely been to this bookstore! It's so great! And, just up the road, there's a two story antique shop that we like to go to! Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh it's been about a year since the last time I stepped into a proper bookstore. They are so few and far nowadays. BUT, I love going to them. In SF, I love going to Green Apple Books. =D
    xo,
    nancy

    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I currently have no physical books at my new place- I'm more of a e-book person now but, I guess I do miss the feeling of holding an actual book and feeling the pages
    >,<

    Hm, I think I'll go out this weekend and support my local bookstores as well<3


    Great post<3

    xoxo
    EV
    eviiarty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that there are cats that just wander around the bookstore! I love sorting through old books - it's so relaxing for some reason. I recently just went to Strands in NYC the other day and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I should travel to Florida just to check this place out! I've found some of the best book shops down there, near the beach. I always bring a book home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love used bookstores! That's so cute that the kitties roam around!
    ~Jessica
    http://jeansandateacup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely note!

Please follow me on Google Friend Connect | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest